Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Polymer Clay Artist Extraordinaire - Amee K. McNamara

Every so often I discuss the contests that Polymer Clay Express has for jewelry designs. Although they are interesting, I find the whole art somewhat sort of "primitive" in style and design. That is, until yesterday.

I came across the most fabulous artist in the medium - Amee K McNamara who has a website with the interesting name Amee Runs with Scissors. Amee describes her site as a "safe place from which she can unleash her unabashed lust for color, her fascination with getting a likeness "just so" and her undeniable fixation with working with teeny-tiny, itty-bitty, ridiculously small beads. (Oh beads, beads, pretty beads!)"

Amee is an artist currently enrolled in the New Hampshire Institute of Art, in the BFA program (which appeals to me since it is my daughter's degree choice too!) Her website is a place for Paintings, Portraits, Illustration and Beaded Polymer Jewelry.

Exploring further into her site, I came across the most stunning polymer clay designs I have ever seen. I now see the medium through new eyes, thanks to Amee. Her designs are anything but primitive.

The design shown here is from her In Like a Lion Tempest Collection. The design was inspired by the power of natural storms and uses a combination of rhinestones, sodalite, apatite and aoutaché embroidered swirls. For some reason it takes me to the Wizard of Oz and the cowardly lion. This lovely necklace is available from Tates Gallery in New Boston, NH for $275



Photo credit Amee McNamara

For more of Amee's designs, you can view the polymer clay gallery on her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin