Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Jewelry Advertising - Then and Now

I'm interested in all things jewelry. I look for new and interesting looks, trends, and viewpoints all the time. Everytime I watch something on TV or look at magazines, my eyes are drawn first to the jools and then to the content.

I thought it would be fun to compare jewelry ads then and now. Surprisingly, with the abundance of online jewelry stores currently available, I had a hard time finding actual advertisements for modern jewelry to compare.

Coro photo courtesy of Jennifer Lynn's Timeless Jewelry

The two ads I have chosen are different in a myriad of ways. The older ad is a Corocraft ad from 1957 which was featured in Vogue Magazine. Notice how the color of the jewelry is incorporated into the hair and clothing of the model. There is also lots of copy and the designer is prominently displayed.

The modern ad is a Chanel ad. Interestingly, what I thought might be the case is not. The older ad is full of color and the modern ad has none. The newer ad also has no copy but the designer is still obvious.

Other differences include the lack of eye contact in the newer ad and, of course, hair style, makeup and other subtle differences in the overall look.

One major aspect of the two ads that I noticed is that the Corocraft ad is really featuring one piece of jewelry. Even though there is a necklace, earrings and bracelet, the items are a demi parure and designed to be worn as a set.

Contrast this to the huge bundle of bangles, which could each be worn alone. (Although with the current trend of statement jewelry, one might lump them all together for that look.)

Which ad is your favorite?

2 comments:

  1. I love the Corocraft ad! You can actually see what is being advertised. I can't see enough of those Chanel bangles to even decide whether I like them or not.

    Then again, I collect and sell vintage jewelry, so what do you expect?

    Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kara,

    I have to agree with you on that comment. I've just been looking though old Life magazines from the 1950s looking for jewelry ads. It is an eye opener to see how different advertising was compared to now.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin