Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Jewelry at the Oscars 2009

I had wondered if the downturn in the economy would affect the styles of clothing and jewelry at the 2009 Oscars ceremony. Part of me thought that the stars would tone it down, but the cynical part of me was pretty sure they wouldn't.


Predictably, the cynic in me won. However, I have to admit, that with my fondness for large jewels at the neckline, I'm not too disappointed at the lavishness. Statement jewelry was big this year in more ways than just sizes. This type of jewelry was a big hit during the recent Fashion week, so it is no wonder that it showed up during the Oscars too.

Stars showed up with arms full of big bangles, huge statement necklaces, and other opulent pieces which were seen on Amy Adams, Sarah Jessica Parker, Tilda Swinton, Tina Fey, and Kate Ledger, to name a few. But none had as much of a statement as this incredible diamond flower necklace from Fred Leighton, worn by Taraji P. Henson - nominee for best supporting actress in the movie The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Jewelry aside, my overall impression of the oscars this year is the effect that Michelle Obama is having on fashion. Long flowing white gowns, clusters of diamond bangles, and long drippy diamond chandelier earrings were in abundance. It seems that many wanted to emulate Michelle Obama's look at the inaugural ball as can be seen from the following photo montage.


(Photo courtesy of 55 Secret Street)

One last note - my love of statement necklaces aside...displays of opulence in this economy is unsettling to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin